Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Can There Be Too Much Football?

I've asked this question before, but never got the answer I wanted or an answer at all. Can there ever be such a thing as 'too much' football for a man? Is there ever a time when a man will throw his hands up and want to give up? When a man sees a football match on the television, the look of pure indulgence that comes over his face, the grin that reaches each ear...

I was never a great fan of football, that is until I understood the full importance of the World Cup and started supporting a couple of the teams, Italy mainly (when Dino Baggio was on the team along with Cannavaro before he became captain and was just a pretty face). I remember arguing with my dentist (a fellow female Italian fan - she's also half Italian) about which player was better. Of course, our debates were mainly based on looks than skill (she was a Paolo Maldini fan). However, once I started following Anime AFC I realised that I could appreciate the games during the 2006 World Cup. I was impressed by the tackles, instead of flinching at the brute force, and I could see how a good defence worked. In other words, I became more aware of the team and their skill, as well as their good looks (alright, so Buffoon and Materrazzi might not be all that good looking, but Luca Toni definitely has my vote).

Saying that, I don't necessarily watch other football matches, like premier leagues and so forth. That is unless I'm with my football team at the pub. After Anime play their matches, it is customary for the team to unwind in a local pub. In these pubs there is usually a television (sometimes more than one) showing a live match. A majority of the team (to my understanding) are Spurs fans, and the world will tend to stop to watch said team play. At the last game Anime played, the local pub the team went to had about 6 televisions. When we first entered the pub the match Arsenal vs. West Ham was playing. Half an hour after the game finish, another started, Spurs vs. Chelsea. During this time 3 screens were showing the Spurs game, while the other 3 showed the rugby game (New Zealand vs England). Although rugby is very different to football it doesnt rule out the fact that this pub was showing 3 games. What's more Anime were exposed to 4 games that day. It begs the question is it too much? And if not, what is? Can a man ever have enough football?

One day, a man shall answer me with more than a boyish grin and quiet shake of the head as in, "women will never get it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home