Friday, November 17, 2006

The Game: 12/11/06

Although the coach was not here (or in the country for that matter), Anime did not disappoint their spectators today. the team did us proud with a 2-1 win, and a great game at that. One of the player's wife stood to watch the game, and watch her husband play goal keeper and coach. Would it be so terrible to say that he did a great job at both?

Today's game was played on grass, and an uneven and wet pitch at that. It was a little hard for the team to get their grip or footing as many of them had unfortunate (must remember to say "unlucky" to players when they slip and miss the ball) slips. However, they kept their balance, and found their footing as they sprinted up and down the pitch.

I managed to learn a new term by really paying attention to when it was used. I'd always heard the term "man-on" being used, just never understood what it meant. I realised it was being used to tell the player with the ball that a player from the opposing team was approaching them. I have only recently regained the confidence to cheer the players on individually, so whether i'll be able to shout "man-on" anytime soo is yet to be seen.

Ashitaka did not play this week, but it did not stop him from coming to watch the game, or the boys from scoring two glorious goals. Both Ryu and Ken did us proud with two beautiful and seemingly effortless goals. Although I can't remember who scored which goal, I do remember that at one point the goal keeper left the goal long and far enough for one of those boys to get it into the net. It was truly a fantastic goal. There is no real comparison to describe just what it's like to watch your player scoring a goal. Watching that person maneuver his way between the players while desperately (?) keeping hold onto the ball, your breath either caught in your throat or being used to cheer that person on. And when that ball crosses the line, under and between the poles, and you see that net shakes as the ball hits it, the explosion of adrenalin that hits you is truly delicious. One of the only times I will allow myself to look less lady-like and composed is when I celebrate one of their goals, my arms raised and screaming "Yes, yes, YES!" at the top of my lungs.

Guile surprised me a little this week. Off the pitch the man gives the impression that he's a very sweet, mild mannered man. On the pitch, he tends to show a more forceful, and now slightly brash side, which in itself is a good thing. However, I also feel that because he's getting more time on the pitch with the other players, he's starting to feel comfortable. He's working a lot better with the team. I find that he's definitely asserting himself more and gaining more confidence with his control over the ball. On the whole, I'm impressed at how comfortable he looks among the team.

The team they played this week is one they've played before. However, there was one player, #8, who constantly got on my nerves. I was told he was about 17 or 18, but his mentality proved to be that of an 8 year old who was told he was a prodigy and told to skip 2 grades at school. I found him to be arrogant and annoying. He allowed the other players (on and off the pitch) to wind him up about his age. He tried to make "witty" comments to his audience. Poor choice really as it was me and the goal keeper's wife. Apparently Deejay had been winding him up in his usual manner, by talking to them, never know about what, but he is very good at it. However, I felt this child lacked the maturity and thick skin it takes to be playing with men. If he was pushed to the ground, he never got back up (or didn't do it quick enough) and would wait for the referee to do something.

Speaking of the referee, I found him to be incredibly weak and generally poor judge of game. He only did anything if a player from either team kicked up a big enough fuss. I truly hope he doesn't referee another one of our games.

Poor Ehoba came to the game a bit hungover from a good night out. However, he played his best on the field. When he chased the ball as it was passed to him he obviously realised that it would go off the pitch before he could get to it, and let it pass the line. However, the opposing player who was following him didn't know what Ehoba was doing. To what I can guess, the player was trying to keep the ball on the pitch and kicked too enthusiastically and unfortunately his foot went too high and connected with Ehoba's face. The man stood there a couple of seconds with what could either be described as a dazed or stoney face, but I knew that it couldn't have felt good as I felt tears stinging MY eyes.

On a more cheeky note, Batou's old habits resurfaced. There were a couple of times when I was sure he'd get done or booked. At one point where his shoulder made contact with a player forcing him down. Because of his size (hence one of my reasons for calling him Batou), he made it look effortless, almost as if the player had run in to him! However, a couple, who were supporting the other team, were filming the game and caught it on camera. I was sure they were going to insist on looking at the video to prove what happened. This whole thing is not really objective, so I can say that a little giggle escaped my lips. In all honesty, the other player went down too easily.

Hmmm, I just hope this winning streak holds. I'm not sure if the coach will be back this weekend, but Kaji is in charge for the time being... this Sunday should be interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home